Getting Started: Creating and Configuring CDN Resources
To enable the CDN from the control panel:
- Under Networks and Services, open the CDN page
- Click Create CDN resource
Choose a CDN provider:
СDN Selectel CDN Akamai Points of presence around the world 26 2200 Points of presence in Russia 13 32 Performance ★★★☆ ★★★★ Cost ₽ ₽₽
- Enter a CDN Resource Name. Resource names are added for convenience.
- Assign a content origin (source):
- Select the Protocol over which the CDN node and content source will communicate: HTTP or HTTPS
- Enter a Domain
For content sources, you can use personal web servers and containers in Cloud Storage, which are defined by domain names or IP addresses.
The CDN communicates with the primary server by the domain or IP address to directly download files. We recommend using domain names in place of IP addresses as they are easier to work with and a more universal approach.
Multiple domains can be added after the CDN resource has been created.
You can enter Cloud Storage containers as content sources by entering ******.selcdn.ru/folder/file, where ****** is your Cloud Storage account number. Your account URL will look like https://******selcdn.ru. Domains should refer to existing content sources. Only one container can be assigned.
- If necessary, change the Port
If a content source uses a non-standard port (standard ports are 80 and 443), you can enter the custom port used.
- Personal domains for distributing data can be entered after the CDN resource has been created
- Click Create CDN Resource
The Akamai CDN can currently only be enabled and configured manually. After entering resource parameters, a request is automatically sent to technical support. Further CDN resource parameters are set via ticket system. Once processes have been automated with this provider, all manually created CDN resources will be shown in the interface at my.selectel.ru.
Configuring CDN Resources
Open the settings of a CDN resource by clicking on the resource block.
After creating a CDN resource, a "default domain" will be created in the format ***.selcdn.net, which can be found under the Domains tab. Content can be distributed using this domain.
For example, say you have a file on your primary server (content origin) in the "photos" folder called cat.jpg. To distribute this file over the CDN, you can use the address ***.selcdn.net/photos/cat.jpg.
Be sure that the origin is properly configured and processes connections from the domain ***.selcdn.net. For example, if you use NGINX as your primary server, then according to instructions, you have to add the domain ***.selcdn.net to the configuration file and check that the default domain processes requests for ***.selcdn.net.
In addition to distributing content from the default domain, you can enable personal domains for file distribution.
To add a personal domain, open the Domains tab for your CDN resources, click Attach domain, and enter the domain name.
Note: You may not use anything lower than third-level domains as a personal domain.
To activate a personal domain, create and register a CNAME entry with your DNS provider.
Content is distributed from default domains over HTTPS.
- Only default domains are available in the selcdn.net zone, which are covered by the free Selectel Shared Certificate
- To attach a personal https domain outside the selcdn.net zone, you have to upload your own certificate under the SSL certificates tab. Once the SSL certificate is enabled, content will be distributed from the default domain over HTTPS, as only one certificate can be active at a time
- You can attach a personal https domain in the a.akamaihd.net zone, which will be covered by the free Akamai Shared Certificate.
- Personal https domains cannot be enabled outside the a.akamaihd.net zone
Adding Multiple Content Origins
To add additional origins, click Edit origin. Enter the Domain and port of the domain and save your changes.